Who We Are
Purchased in 1929 by Alan and Gratia Rinehart as a private winter estate home, Cabbage Key was opened to the public in 1944 by Larry and Jan Stults as a charming remote island hideaway. Over the past 60 years the island has grown in popularity due to the tremendous reputation developed through many years of providing visitors with great food and excellent service.
Where We Are:
We are a 100 acre island located five miles off of Pine Island on the Pine Island Sound. The closest major cities are Cape Coral and Ft. Myers. RSW is the closest major airport.
Getting Here & Getting Around:
Being a small 100 acre island with no paved roads, there are no cars on the island. The only way to get around our sandy trails is by foot.
We have a staff boat that ferries Cabbage Key Employees from Pineland Marina, on Pine Island, to Cabbage Key every morning at 8:30 a.m. And returns from Cabbage Key to Pineland Marina every afternoon after 4:00 p.m.
Employees must cover all relocation costs incurred.
Automobile Storage – If you intend to bring a car with you, you may park it at Pineland Marina in the Cabbage Key Employee Parking Area. In order to use Employee Parking you must provide: a VALID – unexpired Driver’s License, Current Automobile Insurance, & Current, Unexpired Car Registration to the Human Resource Office at Cabbage Key the day you arrive.
Room & Board:
Our employee housing consists of Co-ed housing units. Employees have private bedrooms with basic furnishings (bed, mattress & dresser) and shared bathrooms. There are staff meals served in the restaurant three times a day- Breakfast & Lunch are ala carte and Dinner is served Family Style. There is a coin operated washer & dryer on the island.
What to Bring:
We suggest bringing the following items to make your move to Cabbage Key as smooth as possible!
- Valid, Unexpired Identification (2 forms)
- If you are bringing a car, we need your valid car registration & insurance
- A Voided Check! We Have direct deposit & in order to get paid you need this!
- Bedding – Pillows, Sheets & Blanket/Comforter
- Toiletries – Shampoo, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Soap, etc.
- Alarm Clock
- Flashlight – Trail is dark at night!
- Bottled Water – We have well water!
- Bug Spray
- Sunscreen – It’s sunny in SW Florida!
- Waterproof Windbreaker
- TV-with Digital Antenna(we do not have cable)
- Laptop-if you have one
- Uniform (Day)- Khaki Shorts or Pants and White Tennis Shoes – Staff shirt will be provided.
- Uniform (Evening) – You may wear your own – nice clothes. No Jeans, No Flip Flops!
If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call!
What We Do for Fun:
Cabbage Key is made for the outdoors person. If you love fishing, kayaking, nature, the beach, shelling, & boating – Cabbage Key is for you! Skiffs & kayaks are available for rent from the dockmaster or you can bring your own kayak. If you like to fish – make sure you bring your pole! There is an 18 hole golf course, Alden Pines, located on Pine Island. If you are the artistic type – bring your easel or camera and capture the amazing beauty of our island.